Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Don't EVER Push Me In The Back Again!


Whatever happened to "The Code"? Posted by Hello

OK, we all know Romo went overboard on Williams' face and it cost him 340,000 large but, I can see why Romo snapped... anyone who has played will tell you about "The Code" in the football fraternity... Who did Marcus Williams think he was?... a fringe player trying to make a name by pushing the seasoned Vet down from behind... in my opinion Williams well deserved a shot in the head, and what a shot he got!... Yes Romo took it way too far, but at the same time, a TE pushing a LB in the back after a training camp drill play? Again, a Fringe Player takes a shot at a Vet, a Leader?

You might be reading this thinking "what about Romo flattening out Jerry Rice in a 49er training camp?" Yes, another mistake which Romo has admitted to, but it doesn't make him a criminal...

Another point about "The Code": Williams is an ass for suing Romo... the worst part was trying to get millions, purporting to be on the verge of a breakthrough NFL career... and this wasn't about money? BS!!! it was all about money, Williams trying hit the lottery... he should have at least admitted in court to being a fringe player who was about to be cut, who really had no future in the NFL, other than going from practice squad to practice squad - if he was lucky. At least the jury saw it that way too and only gave him what would have amounted to a year's or so salary...

The point I want to make is this: what happens on the field (especially in training camp) should stay on the field... when players start suing eachother for assault in the game of football... whatever happened to "The Code?".

Remember the story of Greg Beikert knocking out Scott Davis with one punch? Davis was being an ass and Beikert "showed him the door". Davis immediately retired from pro-football, why? After Beikert one-punched him he knew he didn't belong... it was part of "The Code". Williams should have done what Davis did... I have alot more respect for Scott Davis than I do for Marcus Williams.

3 comments:

ward said...

this is just another example of the way things are done these days.a shit kickin is just not the same anymore.i wish i had 340K for every time i lost a fight.sucker punch or not????whats next ?lawsuits for training camp injuries,hitting too hard?give me a break.

Anonymous said...

"The Code" keeps people from taking responsibility for their own actions. All of the excuses and rationalizations that you talk about don't escape the fact that when you don't suffer the consequences of your actions, you promote weakness. Not to mention that some traditions, no matter how long standing, are just sick.

coreyoh said...

I don't know about the NFL "Code". However, I know my Momma's Code, "Somebody put their hands on you.... You pick up a stop-sign pole, and KNOCK THE F@@##**K OUT OF 'EM.... PERIOD!!" That's three children raised by a strong single black woman in Los Angeles, California. It worked. Neither of us are wealthy (monetarily), and I guarantee you, neither one of us would have sued this guy for the money, including my sister (she's knocked-out her share of cats by and large). Long ago while stationed in Gelnhausen, Germany, some 'neck in a Scout platoon from some hick-town, sucker-punched me in my left temple from behind...I saw sparks, and the punch knocked me clean across the room. I was seated with my back to him, and utterly oblivious to his presence or vantage. He was drunk, and had me by 60-70 LBS (I was approx 190 LBS, now 220). The audacity of him to cowardly punch me from behind. I had never been hit in a fight before. And so I was straight outraged...This 'neck had punched my handsome ass. You couldn't have pointed a gun to my head and forced me to sue. For what? What I wanted was a piece of that natural-born country ass (You hear me?). I commenced to completely and thoroughly (with a capital T) going loco on this cat. I produced moves that I didn't know I possessed. It was too quick for him. He was way overwhelmed. He may have gotten in one punch for my every six. It took half a platoon to get me off this clown. Afterwards I felt like I had just run a marathon and had exerted an amount of energy equivalent to that of a horny humming bird (seriously, I was so gassed, because I went completely bezerk). I'm glad they jumped-in though, because I kind of scared myself. My intent was to throw him out of the third floor window. And I think I honestly would have, if the guys wouldn't have intervened. My career would have been cut short and I would probably still be in prison to date. My adrenaline was that spiked (It scared me, because I wasn't aware that I could feel that much rage). Anyway, I'm with you in the sense that Marcus was greedy, and was reaching regarding the money thing. Had Marcus went to the parking lot, got into his ride, driven through the fence onto the playing field, and ran that summa ma bee@@&&##otch over, I would be cooler with that (Now I'm not an advocate of vehicular manslaughter whatsoever, and I don't condone it. However... I understand. I’m talking principle here). Damn some money, anybody touch me inappropriately...It's goin' be some furniture movin'. All my partners know that's been my motto throughout my military career (be it a soldier, good Samaritan, family member, an Iraqi, or whomever...don't damn touch me). Code? ' Don't know 'bout no code. But I damn-sho know crazy. That Crack-Head surpassed the line clicks ago when he punched his own teammate. I don't care how tough he looks on the field with pads on. I bet he's that same type that'll leave his buddies hanging in a bar brawl in civilian cloths. I've seen it over and over again in the military. Tough when it doesn't count, punk-ass when it does. His history and mannerism are good indicators and are pretty-much proof, at least for me. Furthermore, anyone who uses steroids is a flat-out coward. (And I'm not just picking on him; I'm directing this to the entire sports world, here and abroad). They’re afraid that they're going to get beat on natural ability. They're afraid to put in old-fashioned hard work to achieve the same result. So there it is...You have two damn cowards. One for steroid abuse and the other for impersonating a professional football player. Because a professional football player wouldn’t have sued, and he definitely wouldn’t have allowed for his goods (grill) to be damaged in such a manner without retaliating with a full-fledged, all-out, frontal assault on the culprit. You NEVER, EVER, assault a member of you own squad (coming from a combat vet, INFANTRY that is). I get the sense that it was more than a status issue (especially given the history of Romonowski's past altercations). My instincts lead me to believe that it is more a matter regarding the type of gloves Williams had on (That may fly over some of your heads.... Many know exactly where I'm coming from). 'Nuff said....V/R "Corey O" Bleeding Mercury since my Silver & Black pacifier back in June of 67 - Um Out!!