Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I Bought a "Brooks" Jersey Today

Ok, so we all know it boils down to Russell, Quinn or Calvin Johnson... First off, each of the three merits being first overall pick on the draft, I truly believe that... that being said though, its going to be a quarterback, its got to be a quarterback, it has to be a quarterback if the franchise is to move forward with a new leader on the field.

I personally believe it will be Russell, we have all seen the rave reviews, we can go to youtube and watch his miraculous and beautiful throws over and over again, we saw how giddy Coach Kiffin was following Russell's Pro Day workout, we have read that Al Davis compared Russell to Elway (and we all know Davis wanted John, made a deal for John and Rozelle nixed the deal, Elway should have been part of our family). We have also read the clippings calling Russell the "once every ten years" vs. the"there is a Quinn in every draft".... the pick is Russell...

I have mixed emotions about this though because I believe if Russell were not there, the call would be Quinn, with no reservations... I love the kid because he eats, breathes and lives football 24x7x365... he has shown huge commitment to the game and his career... he was handled and coached-up the last couple years by one of the best in the business in Charlie Weiss, he can take a team on his shoulders... most importantly I believe he can and will be the face of his NFL team, and he will besuccessful, unless he is dropped into a Detroit or Cleveland hell-hole...

Brady suffers today from the same illness Lienart had last year... he stayed for his final year and is being penalized for it... there is analysis-paralysis on Quinn's game... people are seeing holes where there are none... sure his arm is not Russell's, but can make all the throws... actually, I would be touting Quinn over Russell if it wasn't for what I call "playing big"... by that I don't mean that he was not clutch, because he certainly was clutch, one of the attributes actually... I just don't think he plays his size... he is nearly 6'4, and 230+ lbs... does he look like it on the field? Not to me... and when uncomfortable he has a kind of hitch-and-hop in his throwing motion which I never liked (I never read about this, am I the only one that sees that hitch?)... all that being said, there is no question, this guy has ALLOT of game and will be a solid pro...

I would be happy if the decision is made for Quinn, but if we pick him, God forbid his sister shows up at the Packer game with a half-Raider- half-Packer-jersey... she would be part of our extended family but desecrating a Raider jersey would be unforgiveable!

I digress - let's pick Russell and unleash him in Kiffin's new imaginative O, with a deep and diverse backfield and wide-outs (including Moss) that can kill you from all over the field... let's give him great field position with our D creating turnovers in opposing territory, let's watch Russell go for 6 from mid-field regularly, go up top routinely and often...

Will Russell wear #2? Should we buy up all the cheap leftover Brooks jerseys and just change the name plate?

No comments: